Friday 10 October 2014

World Mental Health Day.

Well, hi there, it's been a while. 
But I'm back. And I'm vowing to carry on with this little fragment of the internet because despite neglecting it a bit recently; it still means a hell of a lot to me. 

Today as you may or may not know is World Mental Health Day. Obviously this means a lot to me; not only because of my own battles but because of those I love who continue to fight and all those affected who feel alone or hopeless or wanting to give up. The stigma that surrounds mental health is a frightening thing; we shun those who we deem "different" from the norm. But can you seriously define to me what "normal" is? We are all humans and we all fight our battles and there is no doubt in my mind that we should all support one another in those battles, no matter what they are. Just because something is strange or scary to you, like mental health seems to be to many, doesn't mean it is wrong or something to be ignored. So many people are affected by depression, anxiety, addiction, self harm, eating disorders and all that comes with them and yet we shun them instead of helping. It takes only the smallest bit of effort to make a difference in someone's life, a little "hey, how you doing?" text; a smile; a hug; let them know they are not alone and you are already taking a step towards ending the stigma. 

These past few weeks have been a bit weird for me, I'm back in the mindframe of depression that has me feeling everything in the most extreme ways: I go from ecstatic and laughing to catastrophically anxious and afraid. I can feel so happy for a while and before I know it, I'm back in that dark place where my self worth is non-existant and I don't see the point in my life. When these extremes disappear, I'm left with a crushing numbness that I wouldn't wish on anyone, I yearn to feel anything, even sadness just so that I know I'm still alive. However, I am lucky enough to be surrounded by people that support me whether I am irritatingly hyper or infectiously exhausted and I thank my lucky stars for that every day. It breaks my heart to know that there are people suffering in silence because they are afraid of judgement or diagnosis. That shouldn't be the case. This needs to end and if my words can reach even one person, I'll take that because every single thing matters. 

So if you do one thing today, make sure it is letting someone you care about know you are there no matter what. 

"People need people" after all. 

Becca.

No comments:

Post a Comment